Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Heaven Of Amsterdam

When I was a child I thought of our garden in Amsterdam as heaven. I experienced everything around me as magnificence. I saw magnificence in the birds and magnificence in insects that buzzed through our garden full of smells and flowers and mighty trees. I was still so immature, I thought God lived in our dusty barn. In the beginning I didn’t have the guts to go in there. We had a cat with one eye who didn't fear God, it walked in and out the barn all day. When I was eight I was ready to meet God myself. I went into the barn and gazed at sinister shadows to look for Him. Suddenly I could feel Him watching me and I saw one of His eyes gleam up like a little yellow glistening sun. Now only I knew just one of God’s eyes lived in our barn. I’d run outside the shelter of His eye to save my soul. I looked into the azure sky and looked God in the other eye and blinked at Him.

No comments: